Friday, November 16, 2012

Squash and Veggie Soup

I made the best soup yesterday. I'm writing it down so I can make it again! I morphed a few recipes to suit my tastes and what I had in the fridge.

1/2 butternut squash, peeled
3 small red potatoes, peeled
2 stalks celery
1/2 sweet onion
6 baby carrots
1/4 red pepper
1/2 apple, peeled and cored

1-2T butter or olive oil
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Cut all veggies in 1-2" pieces. Because the soup is pureed, the size doesn't matter. Brown vegetable chunks in butter / oil for 5-10 minutes. Add chicken broth. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked through. Puree with hand blender. Season to taste.

This would be good with some fresh basil sprinkled on top at the end. A cheese topped toasted baguette slice crouton would also be a good addition.

No comments: